Vladimir Morozov: It’s a secret with whom we’ll work this season
Short interview with Vladimir Morozov.
Nina Moser announced her intention not to run herself ragged in the upcoming season, just do consultations. So will she now be some kind of a “freelance coach” for your pair?
– Nina Mikhailovna will help us. We won’t lose contact with her.
But with whom will you work every day?
– So far it’s a secret, which is too early to be disclosed in the media. But I can assure you that everything will be fine.
Are there any ideas for the new season?
– We are thinking about the variants of music. And it’s still difficult to talk about the sports component. First it’s necessary to decide on the rules.
Now there are a lot of talks about the likely changes in the rules of figure skating. How will they affect pair skating?
– The changes haven’t been approved yet. This can happen only in early June. Therefore, we are waiting. Certainly, they will shorten the arbitrary program for 30 seconds and possibly remove one element from it. They are going to introduce a new scale of marks – from “-5” to “+5” instead of “-3” to “+3”. This should help judges to assess the performances more accurately. There’s no clarity with quad jumps, yet.
Will the shorten of the free program affect the choreography negatively?
– I hope that changes will be reasonable. If you cut 30 seconds, you must remove the element. Otherwise, it will be a race for the elements to the detriment of showmanship.
What impression you have from the last season? Was it successful or still ambiguous for you?
– In any case, successful. Not everything turned out at the Olympics, but we have a team silver medal. After all we moved from juniors not so long ago, but we quickly gained momentum and already compete with the world’s leading pairs. In addition, youth is on our side. So we’re looking forward for the next four years with optimism.
Moreover, some strong pairs have finished their careers. Among them, perhaps, Olympic champions Aliona Savchenko and Bruno Massot. Have you heard anything about their plans?
– We do not text with them. Some say that they decided to leave, others, on the contrary, say they are going to stay. What will be in fact, we’ll learn at the beginning of the season.
Did the fact that at Worlds between you and German pair was a gap in 20 points bother you?
– No. We had mistakes, Savchenko and Massot performed the program perfectly. But it happened at a specific compeеitions. In general, the gap is not as unattainable as it seems. At the Olympic Games, the judges “forgave” their short program with a failed jump, placing them on the 4th place. True, then they skated the free program well.
In the media, you were compared to Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov. What do you think of it?
– This is a flattering comparison. We worked with one coach, so there are some similar elements. But in style, in my opinion, our pairs are different. We are striving for an amplitude skating, which gives pleasure to the audience and to us.