Evgenia Medvedeva: I can’t name a person in woman’s figure skating who inspires me
Videoconference with Evgenia Medvedeva. I’ve translated the most interesting questions.
Zhenya do you believe that name can affect human’s fate? Do you believe in meaning of the name?
– Yes, I believe. However in Russia we don’t pay much attention on this, but I believe in different signs, amulets, I believe in many things. In our sport you will start to believe in everything.
Do you want to try a quad jump?
– I think that it is possible to do a quadruple jump. As practice shows, a woman’s body is capable of this. Over the years, girls have been performing ultra-c elements.
So it’s quite possible, if you will work on this. The main thing is to prepare your body for this. And not only the body, you should also be mentally prepared. I tried with a belay, but haven’t jumped it myself yet.
As a professional athlete do you have some special diet?
– I can’t say that I have to deny myself something completely. Of course I control what I eat. I can not say that I think of calories, but I understand what I can eat, what I can’t eat, what I need to eat now. Everything within the bounds of reason.
What do you think about crazy men with four five quads in the program? Because men’s figure skating reached a new quality level. What are your impressions and is there any limit of human abilities? Will we have jumps with five turns?
– I saw attempts of quadruple axels, toe loops in five turns. If everything continues to develop in the same way, then, probably, such elements, which are out of the ordinary yet, will appear in competitions.
Did you have any serious quarrels with your coach?
– We have never had serious quarrels. Sometimes we had very funny work-outs, because in the training process it is impossible to constantly concentrate on the same thing, on a routine. Some jokes, it really helps.
Is there anyone who inspires you in figure skating?
– I can’t name such person in woman’s skating, in pair skating it’s Maria Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov and in men’s skating, of course, Yuzuru Hanyu.
What is the best advice you have ever gotten?
– Many say think less, do more, but I say otherwise think more, do more. It’s very important to think, nothing good will happen if you will do without thinking.
If you got a chance to do a pair program for gala whom you would take as a partner?
– I have never done pair skating….No, I actually had, in the show in Madrid Misha Ge and I had a very short but very sweet and funny program. I would not mind to skate with Misha again.