Eteri Tutberidze: Figure skating is not getting younger, it’s evolving
Translation of Eteri Tutberidze’s part from press-conference with Russian skaters and coaches.
– Our group showed good results. Both juniors and seniors. They all showed themselves. It was a difficult year, strong competition within the group. It was psychologically difficult. Alina and Zhenya they are like two daughters for me, for both I want health and all the best. It was pity when Zhenya got injured in the middle of the season. And it is a great pity that Alina and I lacked experience at the World Championships. But it’s impossible to win everything. Now there is anger. I still have it for sure! I know, everyone was worried about Alina’s motivation, so there’s plenty of motivation.
Many fear that Zagitova will repeat the path of Lipnitskaya. Can we compare them?
– Lipnitskaya and Zagitova are different athletes. Julia got enough. I did not see this with Alina. There is motivation, but there were not enough experience and, perhaps, shape. She let her head go a little bit, that’s why it didn’t work out. But this is not related to motivation.
They wrote that Zagitova is three centimeters taller now. Maybe it’s somehow connected?
– She has been three centimeters taller already during the preparation for the Olympics. So three centimeters have nothing to so here. Only we noticed them. In Milan, a week of illness, a question of acclimatization and a lack of experience affected. Alina was just a little weaker than herself.
It is generally believed that female figure skating is rapidly going younger. Even goes into childhood. Do you see this as a danger both for the sport and for the skaters themselves? (This question caused a tough reaction from Tutberidze)
– Where does it grow younger? Open the list of Olympic champions, has it gone into childhood? How old was Sasha Cohen? Tara Lipinski. What are you talking about? They are all very young. Or did you just say that because it sounds great?
People talk about it now.
– And when they say, did you looked into the history? Asking a question you have to be prepared. Then let’s list the Olympic champions, how old they were. You are not ready to answer, yes? Then why ask the question? Wrong. Nothing becomes younger! Everything remains as it was.
At the end of the press conference Tutberidze again returned to this topic.
– Where is the journalist who asked that the figure skating is getting younger? Sport is not getting younger, it is evolving, it’s a normal process, do remember how they jumped 20 years ago? Who then thought that in many years girl with 3-3 will be on the 24th place? This is the process of evolution, not the process of youthfulness. Figure skating is not getting younger, but evolving. And we was not the first who decided to go for quadruple jumps.
by Dmitri Zelenov for sport-express.ru
Related topics: Eteri Tutberidze