Elizaveta Tuktamysheva: I like to be spectacular
Interview with Elizaveta Tuktamysheva.
This season you started better than all the leaders of the national team. At the test skates, both Evgenia Medvedeva and Alina Zagitova fell, and you did a triple axel from the first attempt. Did you have confidence in your strengths before going on the ice?
– Of course I had. I was very well prepared for the test skates, I really wanted to show my programs. Therefore, it went to the ice with some kind of excitement. It’s nice to see the result of your work.
The last three seasons can’t be called successful for you. In fact, the World Championships 2015 is your last major victory. When the results were gone, have you thought about retirement?
– No, I never thought about it. I hoped, I worked, I felt that I still could do everything.
Skaters often change coaches, trying to improve results. Have you ever wanted to change a coach?
– No, I hadn’t such thoughts either. We have been working together for a very long time, we know each other. In my opinion, AlexeI Nikolaevich is the best coach in world of figure skating. It would be foolish to leave him. And impolite. He’s never focused on the fact that there were no results. We just skated.
Did the example of Carolina Kostner help you? After all, you have been training on the same ice for a long time.
– No, I’m not looking for some idols, I don’t need other examples. Everything always depends on me. Alexei Nikolaevich never separated us. There was one training system. There was enough attention for both of us, everything was fine.
You and Adelina Sotnikova are practically the same age and once you were the main rivals. After the 2014 Olympics, Adelina couldn’t return to the ice and now she’s performing in shows. Do you often get an offers to joing the tour?
– I receive such offers, but I have already said that I feel the strength to fight. Therefore, I’m not ready to leave big sport for shows.
At the Grand Prix in Canada, you beat Evgenia Medvedeva. Was it fundamentally? Was it a matter of principle?
– No, I didn’t think about it. The main thing was to show my maximum, get on the podium. Zhenya and I actually have a good relationship. After the competition, she said that I did well, congratulated. We had a very nice chat. Previously, we didn’t talk much, but now we have learned more about each other.
Do you support her in the decision to change the coach?
– Completely. If I were her I’d do the same.
Rika Kihira, who was ahead of you at the Japanese Grand Prix, jumps two axels in the program. Are you planning to do the same?
– We also think about it, but we don’t plan it in the near future. We still need to understand, to accept the necessity of these two jumps. It’s necessary to be stronger, both physically and morally, in order to do them clean.
Next season, Alexandra Trusova, Anna Shcherbakova and Alena Kostornaya should move to senior level. To compete with them, you need to jump to quadruple jumps. Have you ever tried to train them?
– It’s hard to do at my age. When I was a child, I trained quad. If I try now, it will be a quadruple Lutz. I think I could. Although for now my technical content is enough. Plus girls are small and skinny. Will they keep these quads at least for the next season? I can’t say anything, I’m not sure.
The whole world has been discussing your gala program for several days. Who came up with the idea?
– My friend. And AlexeI Nikolaevich, came up with idea to undress. This is cool. I like to be spectacular.
Everyone is also talking about your intention to meet with Trump ..
– Of course, I assumed that I would be condemned for this answer. But it was a joke. What was written in the media and comments is just nonsense. I feel sorry for people who have no sense of humor.
Recently it became known that you will comment the Rostelecom Cup on “Match TV”. Did you easily accept the invitation?
– Yes, I really wanted to try. I’m glad I was offered. It will be a good experience for me that will help me in the future.
by Angelina Nikitina for lenta.ru