Alexei Mishin: The judges see the world record and score it negatively
Alexei Mishin about Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and Evgenia Medvedeva’s performances at Skate Canada 2018.
– It was one of Lisa’s best short programs she’ve ever done, and that anyone has ever done in women’s skating. Because nobody jumps such an axel.
Paradoxically, but large gap created in the short program prevented her to do great in the free. She said she didn’t want to miss the victory. But after the competitions she said that her friends shouldn’t hope that she will skate the free program like that again.
Elizaveta admitted that she was very nervous before the free program. What words the coach need to find to calm down the athlete?
– If I tell you those words, they will no longer work.
Tatiana Tarasova called judges thieves, you also expressed dissatisfaction with judging. What are your claims about?
– Perhaps the judges who worked at Skate Canada have never seen such a good axel, which Liza Tuktamysheva performed. But at the same time they gave her “-1” for it. They see the world record with their own eyes and score it negatively. An athlete who has such an element in her program is an athlete from another era. In her victorious season, Liza also did this axel, back then she was already from another era. Hundreds jump triples, only a few jump triple axel.
Another Japanese skater 15-year-old Mako Yamashita showed herself in Canada and took second place. What can you say about her?
– There is nothing amazing about her skating, but Yamashita is an excellent all-around skater, she has all the elements at a very good level.
Evgenia Medvedeva unsuccessfully skated the short program, but brilliantly in the free, which allowed her to take the third place.
– So write, Evgenia showed that she is a great fighter.
by Yuri Volohov for sovsport.ru