Anna Pogorilaya commented on her performance in Finland, told about programs, growing up, relationship with coach and admitted that she has already forgotten about main success in her career.
Anna, how did it happen – no jumps with positive GOE in the free program?
– I wasn’t relax enough.
Waited too long? No one likes first starting number.
– No. With the last starting number it happens differently. The year before last season, at “Skate Canada” everything turned out well. Almost nothing depends on a starting number.
Maybe you wanted to win too much?
– No, I didn’t want to win! I wanted to skate the program clean.
Everyone says so. Like no one wants to beat competitors and to see his last name on the top line.
– When you skate, you don’t think about competitors. Go on the ice, stand into starting position – and you think neither about first place, nor with whom you fight for it. There are only you and program.
Why then skaters worry?
– The elements are difficult.
Why then they don’t worry at trainings? There are qlso difficult elements.
– I worry a lot at trainings. Sometimes even almost like at competitions.
Your free program is tragic. Doesn’t it press on you?
– No. On the contrary, it turns out that pains on the ice and my emotions are combined.
Aren’t it too much pains?
– Now it was too much. I went on the start a bit sullen. I’m almost never being such sullen.
Whose idea of the tragic free program?
– Anna Vladimirovna (Tsareva), my coach sent a few music options. My mother and I listened it, something was average, and one variant we liked. It turned out that Anna Vladimirovna also wanted to choose this music. Then we thought – why to take the whole music for the program? And our choreographer Victor Adoniev added his musical piece, and then the third part was added by Nikolai Morozov.
Is it more difficult, when three different pieces put together?
– It is difficult to combine the parts in such way, so the cuts won’t be noticeable. Therefore, Nikolai Morozov searched long enough for a third piece of music. The first piece is Victor Adonev’s, and the middle is that we chose first.
Is there any idea in this program?
– Surging emotions. The ocean, the wind, the waves beating against the rocks. Such feelings I have inside.
This year Evgenia Medvedeva skates a program, to which is necessary to give libretto or to guess what is it about.
– Yes, at the test skates in Sochi I saw this program. But I didn’t guess what she skates about. Apparently, I have bad associations. Mom then has read and told me.
It seems to me, no one guessed from the first time. Can you imagine yourself in such scene program?
– Where it is necessary to gesticulate? I like this idea. But the program with such meaning, that Evgenia skates, I wouldn’t have performed. When I found out that her program is about terrorist attack, I thought that it is possible, that someone, who is watching it, lost his relatives. It hurts.
The theme is too difficult.
– Yes, it affects to a goosebumps, but for me it’s too much.
Misha Ge did your short program to a music from the movie “Scent of a Woman”. Why he?
– I know him from the Olympics. Anna Vladimirovna showed Misha’s performances to our group and said: that’s how you should skate. So, I remembered him. We often met at competitions, I saw his programs. Then I found out that he did his programs himself. After the European Championships I started to think about choreographer and decided to risk.
After a happy World Championships in Boston, he wrote you a touching message on Instagram, and you thanked him for his support. Perhaps this case has helped?
– To some extent, yes. And there was a story at the World Championship. Before the free program I was sitting and rocking in the chair because it was so nervous. I almost broke it. Two people tried to calm me down. First was Goda Butkute, Lithuanian pair skater. The second was Misha. When I went to get a second cup of coffee, he stopped me and said – no more dope!
How Misha creates the program? He talks about movements or shows?
– Mostly shows. It’s more convenient for me when I see an example of what to do.
Did he ask you to imagine something in your head during your very expressive steps sequence?
– No. He showed specific positions that I should perform.
Is it emotionally the most mature program in your career?
– In fact, I can’t say. “Bolero” was mature, and “Scheherazade” too. But, of course, this program is the most mature of my previous tangos, I had three tangos.
Did you try tango on the floor?
– Yes. When I had tango in my first senior season, I worked with a ballroom dancer. Sergei Verbilo made that program and I worked with his friend dancer. I have some basis from those lessons. I also took a couple of lessons with a girl who was a ballroom dancer. When I was little and shy, it was uncomfortable for me to dance in pair with a man. So I decided to work with a woman.
Is it possible to take some position from tango the floor to the ice?
– Positions, how you hold a partner are the same on the ice. In my program there are a few moments when I had to stand in a certain posture. And there I had one hand on the shoulder of my imaginary partner.
Did you dance with Misha?
– No. She just showed how I need to move.
Are the relationships with a coach changing with your growing up? Anna Vladimirovna and you almost don’t have any difference in height.
– In height – yes, but in status there is. So, the relations are only: coach – athlete.
So, you can’t be called friends?
– No way! If we were, she wouldn’t be able to demand a result. A coach is a coach, he must demand.
I know many skaters, who are on the first-name basis with their coaches.
– Once, at the training camp, when I was a child, I was about eight, I called Anna Vladimirovna whether “Anya” or “Anna”. After that, I ran cross. Since then, I’ve never tried that again. Memories for a lifetime!
What has changed in your life after the bronze at World Championships?
– I’ve already forgotten about it. Only at our rink remind sometimes. There are posters with pictures of Evgenia Medvedeva, Julia Lipnitskaya and me. When I skate, I look up and see it all – and I think: Wow, I was third at the World Championship. Something like that. But it has been and gone. I must go further.
Where do you keep your medal?
– In a box.
– Because I live in a crazy house, with cat and dog. First, cat will bring it down, then a dog will eat it.